Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Part the Third

I really enjoyed Tiffany's project. She had a great concept and I think failure is something that every artist has to face. The idea that she didn't think her project was "good enough" or "didn't meet the criteria enough" only goes to show that other people have the same train of though as I do: is this going to suffice? Is this good enough?
I like that she had us write down what were were afraid of failing on her poster because it helped show that everyone has something they are afraid of failing. As well as that failure (and the fear of if) is a very real, constant thing in many people's lives.
I connected strongly to her project because I have a very strong sense of fear of failure. I always second guess my work and ask "is it good enough." In some ways that can be helpful. For example I might go back and put more shading on an object in a painting because I found that it didn't have enough. But it can also be a hindrance because if I'm always asking, "is this good enough?" then I'm not focusing on the bigger question: "do I enjoy this?"
That's the part of this that impacts my creative self. Focusing on "am I failing this" isn't nearly as productive as asking "am I having fun with this?" Because when one is having fun then the really creative ideas start to come out.
So thank you Tiffany for helping me face my fear of failure and for letting me know I'm not alone in it. I shall try to use it to my advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment